Signed Thursday 5 February 2015
This Agreement was made between Jumhooree Party (JP) and the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) to execute all necessary actions in upholding the Constitution of the Republic of Maldives, to defend the spirit of the Constitution and sustain the rule of Law.
Clauses of Agreement
1. To agree and work in the same spirit to affect the cessation of proposals that violate, or undermine the spirit of, the Constitution to the Peoples Majlis (parliament) and to uphold the Constitution by preventing the passage of such propositions. To carry out whatever actions decided as necessary and defend such decisions to protect the Constitution and Laws, within and out of the Peoples Majlis (parliament).
2. Carry out whatever and all actions decided as necessary to straighten out ongoing initiations and all instances to date where the government had contravened the Constitution, Laws and the spirit of the Constitution.
3. Examine and take whatever actions necessary to affect the cessation of government instigated threats and attempts at intimidation of ordinary citizens, journalists, staff at state-partner companies, workers, employees, business people, youth, officials and staff of independent institutions, and politicians.
4. Work to affect the cessation of government actions through the Peoples Majlis (parliament), the judiciary and by various other means, to prevent opportunities to contest elections for persons seen by the government as would-be candidates from political parties; as reference to the Constitution and the spirit of the Constitution makes apparent that the greatest objective of the Constitution is to facilitate multi-party democracy.
5. Work to increase parties participating in this Agreement, to attain the objectives of this agreement and to widen and strengthen ties among participating parties.
Execution of the Agreement
1. Establishment of a joint-commission including all participating parties of this Agreement, named “Inter-Party Commission”, to plan and decide actions necessary to attain the objectives of the Agreement. This Commission shall include the most senior leader of each participating party.
2. Establishment of a Joint-Parliamentary-Group including MPs from all participating parties of this Agreement, to work together in the Peoples Majlis (parliament) in upholding the Constitution and the spirit of the Constitution. Procedures for activities of the Joint-Parliamentary-Group shall be decided by the Inter-Party Commission of participating parties.
3. The Inter-Party Commission and the Joint-Parliamentary-Group stated above should be established within ten days from the date of signing this Agreement.
4. Parties shall work to resolve any disputes, regarding this Agreement or an action taken under this Agreement, through discussion.
5. Matters of interest not stated in this Agreement that may arise shall be resolved through discussion among parties.
Validity of Agreement
This Agreement shall be valid until parties decide to annul this agreement.
Amendments to Agreement
Amendments to this agreement shall only be made upon submission of written consent for amendments signed by participating parties. Such amendments made shall be included as a part of this Agreement.
We have signed this Agreement on 04 February 2015, to act upon all matters in this Agreement truthfully and sincerely, in Male’, the capital of the Republic of Maldives, in the presence of witnesses who have signed below.
Hamid Abdul Ghafoor
Spokesperson, International Affairs